about tab Find me outfits tab 2 Reviews wishlists

Monday 22 October 2012

Review: How to be a Woman

I love books, I always have, when I was little I remember my mum taking me to Waterstone's when they'd have a 3 for 2 on, and I'd have read all three of those books by the next day! I read every Harry Potter book in about two days as well, but as I got older and my life got busier, I honestly had so little time to read, and this really upset me.

While in 6th form, not only was I doing my A levels but I had a part-time job and did some volunteering so I really had no time to enjoy a good book, and the last year has been so hectic as I was just starting out at uni and finding my feet. But I swore I'd get back into reading as much as possible, and I started with a book I had been looking to read for ages, Caitlin Moran's, 'How to be a Woman'.
I have always considered myself a feminist, (and frequently enjoy having a rant about it) and I love a good autobiography, so I had been told by a few people that this was right up my street, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I was worried that it may be a little reminiscent of my sociology days (which I didn't enjoy!) but it is funny, honest and covers every topic I believe needs to be discussed.

There are so many issues raised in this book, that I believe need to be addressed for young women. I am fortunate to have a mother and a circle of friends who discuss everything pretty openly, but as a society we are very bad at discussing what matters. While reading it, I did think to myself that although I've always believed in equal rights, I don't think I am a feminist, I just think that everyone should be granted the same privileges and rights as everyone else, whether they are a woman or man, no matter what age, and no matter what their background. I was raised to believe this was the case, and I hope everyone else will start teaching their children this soon, as there are still so many ignorant people in this world.

In it there are touchy areas that she covers, but yet, she does it with such humor, that at times I really wondered why I hadn't thought like that before, and that her point was so Obvious!

This book is so funny, that at times I forgot I was reading about feminism, and I wish I had read it in 6th form so maybe I would've had more interesting things to base my sociological arguments on in exams! Although there were many fantastic points made throughout the entire book, one quote really sticks with me, even three days after finishing: "Feminism is 'Everyone being polite to each other.'"

I think this is a mantra we should all follow. Can't wait to read her second book now!

1 comment:

  1. I really want to give this a read! Love your posts so I've nominated you for a Liebster award :) http://www.laurashaven.com/2012/10/the-liebster-award.html x

    ReplyDelete